Sunday, August 27, 2006

I Just Don't Get It

Friday afternoon I left school after only 10 hours (shortest time period in 14 days). What to do with a little free time? I was exhausted but a co-worker mentioned sitting down with a beer. That decided it! I would return to a routine that I hadn't participated in for at least a year. First a burger and beer (while reading the paper) at Red Robin, followed by a film across the street.

This summer's weak movie offerings coupled with a busier schedule resulted in my viewing much fewer films than usual. What to see? I was tempted by Little Miss Sunshine, but ultimately decided on Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby. I've never really been a fan of Will Ferrell but he has done good work in supporting character roles. The only reason I chose Nights was on the recommendation of several friends who told me that they don't regularly care for Ferrell but really liked this movie.

What a disappointment! There were a few moments of humor but definitely not enough to justify a $8.50 ticket. I know the film is intended to exaggerate human behavior and attitudes; however, only Gary Cole's character seemed consistent enough to be believable. Ferrell spends the film playing the exact same character he always does (see: Elf, Old School, Ron Burgundy . . . etc.). I am usually pretty good at putting myself into a film even when it's not good. But, I seriously contemplated walking out on this one, something I have never done or even considered before. I really could have used the sleep instead.

Now I will have to discuss with all my students who worship Ferrell why three laughs does not make a movie good. I just don't get it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was similarly disappointed by Pirates of the Caribbean 2 the other night. We left before the damn thing even ended, 2.5 hours was enough painful plotlessness. Guess I'm glad we didn't go to Nights...

Vandalhooch said...

I thought Pirates was OK, but I seem to be in a minority among my friends.